Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top Ten Albums of 2013 - #2 The Airborne Toxic Event - Such Hot Blood

#2
The Airborne Toxic Event
Such Hot Blood

The Airborne Toxic Event is my favorite band. For someone who owns as much music as I do, to even be able to say one particular band is my favorite is a bold statement. But they are. And I haven’t even seen them live. Yet.

As with every other recording I’ve ever heard of theirs, this album is gorgeous, rich—musical genius. I read somewhere that their music is poetry you can dance to. I would agree.

I love to write to their music. Somewhere Around Midnight, off their 2007 self-titled album, is the stuff of a great heart-wrenchingly painful scene in a book. I know, I listened to it a hundred times as I wrote the breakup scene between Scott and Winnie in Hasten. I still cry every time I read it. 

Timeless, The Secret, The Storm, Safe . . . I’ve listened to each a hundred times . . . whenever I’ve wanted to get my head into another heart-wrenchingly painful scene in one of my books. Their music never fails me.

Every song gives me the chills. Every single song. I’ve been known to say (ad nauseum) that I live my life by soundtrack. There isn’t a place or time that TATE’s music doesn’t fit. It isn’t all h-w-p, it’s just all soul-baring. 

If I had unlimited amounts of money to spend on seeing one particular concert, I would fly to wherever their next show is, that’s how badly I want to see them live.

It’s next to impossible to say which song of theirs is my favorite, but All I Ever Wanted, off 2011’s album All At Once, might be it. Deserted island, one album . . . it would be hard to pick which of TATE’s I’d pick, but no question . . . it would be one of theirs.


No comments: